Reading With Pictures has become a major player in the field of visual literacy. Since our inception, we have:
- Provided hundreds of professional development seminars in schools and at comic conferences around the country. These delivered practical advice and material assistance to educators and curriculum developers in their efforts to bring comics into the classroom.
- Developed programming tracks for dozens of academic, educational and library conferences, comic conventions and literary festivals including the American Library Association, C2E2 and NYCC.
- Gave numerous lectures in schools, universities and important professional conferences such as the International Reading Association.
- Garnered major media attention from the Chicago Tribune company, G4 TV, Time Out Chicago, School Library Journal, Publisher’s Weekly and Wired.com.
- Built a 2000+ person network of educators, academics, cartoonists and librarians that we interact with on a regular basis through our website, mailing list, Facebook and Twitter.
- Published Reading With Pictures: An Educational Comics Anthology, a proof-‐of-‐ concept book designed to demonstrate how comics can bridge the gap between entertainment and education. Nominated for two Harvey Awards for Best Anthology and Best Children’s Book, The Anthology was produced entirely through volunteer efforts and financed via donations secured through the crowdfunding website www.kickstarter.com.
“My association with Reading with Pictures and access to the research based information regarding the use of graphic novels, actually saved comics in my classroom. In addition to the wonderful anthology resource, the ability to bounce ideas off of other educators and network with other professionals has enabled me to take my curriculum to a whole new height.”
6th grade Social Studies and Reading
Jefferson City, MO
2012 Missouri State Teacher of the Year Finalist