$77,420 raised by 971 backers to make 1 dream a reality.
Thank you all!
Now wait till you see what comes next…
WHAT WE’RE DOING…
Finance the creation of The Graphic Textbook entirely through our Kickstarter campaign.
The Graphic Textbook unites the finest creative talents in the comics industry with the nation’s leading experts in visual literacy to create a gamechanging educational tool for the classroom and beyond, one that’s tied to a revolutionary impact study overseen by the Learning Sciences Department of Northwestern University.
The goal is to create an awesomeness-filled book of the highest artistic quality and literary merit that also meets all the criteria necessary to be accepted as classroom curriculum.
Aimed at grades 3-6, The Graphic Textbook features a dozen short stories (both fiction and non-fiction) that address topics in a variety of disciplines (Social Studies, Math, Language Arts, Science) drawn from the list of Common Core Standards used in classrooms countrywide. The accompanying Teacher’s Guide will include Standards-correlated lesson plans customized to each story, research-based justifications for using comics in the classroom, a guide to establishing best classroom practices and a comprehensive listing of additional educational resources.
The Graphic Textbook will prove once and for all that comics belong in the classroom by creating a comic that every teacher will actually want to use and a textbook that every student will actually want to read!
Page Count: 144
Print Format: Hardcover
Digital Format: ComicsPlus and DRM-free, print-quality PDF
Bonus Material: 100-page digital Teacher’s Guide
WHO WE ARE…
Reading With Pictures is a 501(c)3 nonprofit charity that promotes and facilitates the use of comics in the classroom. We’re primarily a volunteer organization, and even our paid employees (such as those involved with The Graphic Textbook) are working at significantly below their normal market rate because they believe in our cause.
We work with the best people because we want to make the best book we possibly can. America’s students deserve nothing less.
- “George Washington: Action President” by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey (ACTION PHILOSOPHERS)
- The Black Brigade” by Chris Schweizer (CROGAN’S VENGEANCE)
- “Field Trip” by Russell Lissau (THE BATMAN STRIKES) and Marvin Mann (THE LONE AND LEVEL SANDS)
- “Ratio” by Amy Reeder (BATWOMAN)
- “Finding Ivy” by Michael Bramley (HADRON COLLIDERSCOPE) and Alice Meichi Li (ELEPHANTMEN)
- “Probamon!” by Geoffrey Golden (THE DEVASTATOR) and Nate Pride (MOUSEGUARD: LEGENDS OF THE GUARD)
- “Special Delivery to Shangri-La” by Mike Lee and Janet Lee (RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN)
- “Albert the Alien in ‘It’s a Figure of Speech!’” by Trevor Mueller (RWP: AN EDUCATIONAL COMICS ANTHOLOGY and Gabriel Bautista (WILL EISNER’S ‘THE SPIRIT’)
- “The Power of Print” by Katie Cook (FRAGGLE ROCK)
- “Doctor Sputnik: Man of Science” by Roger Langridge (THE MUPPET SHOW)
- “Like Galileo…” by James Peaty (SUPERGIRL) and Tintin Pantoja (HAMLET: THE MANGA EDITION)
- “Mail Order Ninja in Showdown with the Sea Apes!” by Josh Elder (STARCRAFT: FRONTLINE) and Dean Trippe (POWER LUNCH)
- Foreword by Gene Yang (AMERICAN BORN CHINESE)
- Cover by Ben Caldwell (DARE DETECTIVES)
- Editorial services provided by Josh Elder (RWP: An Educational Comics Anthology), Paul Morrissey (MOUSE GUARD: LEGENDS OF THE GUARD) and Brandon Montclare (ALL-STAR SUPERMAN)
- Educational consulting by Professor David Rapp (Dept. of Learning Sciences, Northwestern University), Dr. James “Bucky” Carter (BUILDING LITERACY CONNECTIONS WITH GRAPHIC NOVELS) and Dr. Katie Monnin (TEACHING GRAPHIC NOVELS)
- Curriculum development by Sari Wilson and Tracy Edmunds.
- Additional educational comic material provided Raina Telgemeier(SMILE), Dave Roman (ASTRONAUT ELEMENTARY) and many more
You can find story synopses, complete creator bios and the full 411 on our editorial and educational team HERE.
Help us get comics into schools… and get schools into comics!
And check out our project updates here!